Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The return of the flat!

Gooooooddddd mooorrrrnnnniiinnnggggg!!!

Ok. So, today, I want to tell you about my obsession with crazy sandals. I've shown you my gold ankle wrap flip-flops, but these lil babies were a very excellent purchase made in the FABULOUS city of New York!

We (Mum and I) found them at this store Laila Rowe (if you REALLY like these, and want a pair, they're on sale for 15.00$US) that was a few different places in the ol' NYC, and we kept stumbling upon them in our travels around the city (which was opportune because we couldn't figure out where the first one was that we found, and we really wanted to go back).

I think that they're quite clever because they have ankle straps, but also zippers down the back of the ankle, so you can just unzip and jump out. I always find it frustrating having to contort my body into odd pretzel shapes so that I can see the buckles placed strategically just out of my normal range of sight.

Anyways! I am absolutely LOVING the crazy flat sandals that have been coming out this season. There are studs and anklestraps and pseudo-sandal-boot-hybrids (like the ones my mum bought on our San Fran trip) all over the place and I think they're fantastic. It's nice to see something other than your typical strappy heel (not that I don't love a good strappy heel, they just get tired after awhile) or mangy flip-flop. Plus, there's a shift with these towards a less delicate look. The studs and beadwork are all very strong looks, sometimes hinting at tribal or military, and this allows them to pull together and step up a casual look.

For example, I've worn these sandals with a pair of short-shorts and my (men's) I <3 NY shirt, and really felt as though the shoes pulled the outfit together and made it an outfit, rather than looking like I just pulled the first two clean items of clothing off my floor and threw them on (which is very possibly what actually happened).

I would almost equate this trend to all the gorgeous flat boots we've been seeing for Fall/Winter the last few years. Flats are coming back, baby, and the boardwalk is the perfect place for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment