Friday, November 23, 2012

Oka-b? Ok by me!

After we finished about 90% of the work portion of our New York trip, my mum and I decided to take a day off and do some leisurely wandering. And, what did we end up doing? That's right, shopping!

But, this time, we found ourselves at the fabulous GreenFlea Market on the Upper West.

Flea markets are so much fun, as long as you're not searching for anything particular. The treasures that you stumble upon are so much more fun, because you didn't stress and race about trying to track something down. And that's just what this flea market was, a treasure trove!

I wound up coming home with a beautiful 1940's navy velvet evening bag (it even had the tiny matching change purse still intact and on a chain inside), and something I've been seeing in magazines for awhile:


These are Oka-b flats. They are jelly flats, but they're nothing like the jelly shoes of our childhoods! These clever little friends are waterproof, odor and bacteria resistant, and recyclable.

That's right! When you've worn them into the ground (and believe me, you will, they're super comfy, and have massage beads in the soles.), you can mail them back to their roots just outside Atlanta, Georgia, and they will be fully recycled into either new shoes, or industrial mats. That's pretty cool, if I do say so myself!

They'll also recycle the shoebox, so you can send them back in that. If you hold onto it that long without recycling it yourself, of course!

The waterproof part really appeals to me too, being a West Coast Rainforest dweller. It's nice to have another option to wear in the rain without having to worry that they'll get ruined. Did I mention that they're machine-washable?

Georgia's answer to the rainboot has arrived! And it's cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment