Friday, November 30, 2012

Mix or match?

There are a lot of interesting flats out and about in stores right now. I think they're darling. Especially these little charmers I picked up in New York (of course):

Just a little Missoni knit to brighten your day! They aren't real (unfortunately), but adorable none-the-less.

We're also seeing lots of bright colours (remember my bright blue tassels?) and details (cap-toes, fabric, studding, etc, etc, etc), and the big dilemma becomes: mix or match?

Do you mix patterns, colours, metallics, brights, fabrics, or let the statement stand alone?

And the answer is: it's really up to you. 

Depending on the day, I will do both. Today, I'm wearing those lovely little cobalt tassels, but the rest of my outfit is neutral (actually, black, to be honest), so that those shoes are my statement piece, and they get the spotlight (it's working, too, I've had three compliments on them, already, and I've worn them to my office already). But, I've also worn the Missoni knit flats with a bright cobalt polka-dot shirt (I'm just realising that that is a lot of cobalt for one paragraph), mixing patterns, quite boldly.

If you're going to mix colours, try to stick with two brights, max. Do bright shoes with a bright dress, and then black tights, or bright tights with bright shoes and neutral clothes. Some people can get away with three (I remember nights where I would be in a bright skirt, bright tights, and bright shoes of all different hues), but, especially if you're not used to colour-blocking, play it a little safe. At least to start.

As for patterns, if both are multi-coloured and obvious, keep them as far from each other as possible. For example, you'll look more fashionista with a bold patterned shirt and bold patterned shoes, but if you wear a bold patterned dress, shoes, belt, and tights, you may look more like you got dressed high on acid. And these aren't the kinds of things one wants to broadcast.

If you want to mix patterns closer together, look for pieces that are tone-on-tone, or softer colours and that the patterns lend more texture to, for example: tweeds, flocking, meshwork. Keep it subtle, and you can mix all sorts of patterns!



Metallics are neutrals, so you can do whatever you want when it comes to mixing them. Don't be shy!

Except maybe this:


So, you really can mix or match, to your heart's content! As always, go with your gut, as to what you're comfortable with, but have fun with it! Who says that because the winter weather is dull that your look has to be?

2 comments:

  1. I don't stop at 3 colours (or patterns)! I go all in :-) Then again subtlety has never been my forte. Glad to see some flats on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I, sometimes ;) But, if there's someone reading who hasn't done the mixing thing before, dipping toes before diving in headfirst may be the way to go...

      Thanks! I'm glad you like them :) I'm doing a flats and boots kinda fall in my footwear. Feels right!

      Delete