Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gadzooks! (Or: The cat's pajamas)

I warned you. It's flapper time.

After seeing the cast Charleston-ing the night away in Nice Work If You Can Get It, and picking up the most fantastic tights, printed to look like they're stockings with garters, I'm obsessed!


(worn with one of my new Betsey Johnson dresses, divine!)

It also doesn't help that the first thing I saw on my Facebook feed upon arriving home was this:


Trouble!

While I was in New York, I came upon the most darling T-bar shoes, shopping at Strawberry. Unfortunately, the straps on them hit a little funny, so I had to pass up on them, but I'm back on the hunt now, and the second that I find a pair I love, it will be on. It may have to wait until I've paid off my credit cards from New York, though...

In the meantime, the obsession grows. Here's a little history lesson to show you what we're going for here:




These are all shoes from the 1920's, and we can gather the basic elements pretty quickly. They all have straps across the foot (I'm sticking with the T-bar for the sake of this exercise) and a wider, mid-height heel. A lot of designers have done sky-high versions of the same, but I think the mid-heel works best, and looks more authentic.

Now, I've done a little sourcing (of course) and here's what I've found thus far.


These are by Monsoon, and are essentially exactly what I'm looking for. The issue is that I found them on Polyvore, but when I went to the Monsoon website, they were no where to be found... Back to the drawing board.


Then I found these little numbers. They're by Office (apparently the UK has the right idea), and are adorable in mint green! How cute with a complimenting minidress and those garter tights?
And, of course, if we're shopping London, we have to check out Vivienne Westwood! The queen of British fashion, no pun intended! (The crown is her signature symbol, and she has been known to make fun of the monarchy,) These demure little beauties would be perfect with knee socks and short shorts, no?


 Finally, I found a pair that were no longer available from Samanta. It's a shame, because this orange is very hip right now... I'm wearing a dress the same colour as I type this.

Now! To learn how to Charleston!




No comments:

Post a Comment