Monday, January 30, 2012

Highheelaphobia.

We all have that friend who looks at our shoes and gawks a little. She's can't believe that you wear those, don't your feet die?!

But, this is a totally unnecessary phobia! Anyone can wear big heels, it's just a matter of practice.

To illustrate, I'm currently wearing these:


And, yes, that's a 5 1/2 inch heel. 

But, I've been wearing them for 8 1/2 hours, and my feet haven't fallen off yet! 

There are a few reasons, I'll admit, but, first, a little background about these darlings!

I got them from Necessary Clothing, in New York (where else?), and I have them in magenta as well. 

Necessary Clothing has the world's weirdest shoe system. My mum and I were both trying on shoes that day (they had amazing deals, these were $15 each), and they would only bring us one shoe at a time. 

Yes, that's right, I didn't get to put on both shoes at the same time until I had bought them. And, to make matters worse, their shoe storage was downstairs from the sales floor, so the poor sales girl had to run downstairs, grab a shoe, run back upstairs, wait for us to try that shoe on, then take it, run back downstairs, grab the other shoes and run back upstairs with that one. For each pair. 

And, if you know anything about me yet, you can probably guess that we tried on just about every pair they had.

But, now that you're in shock at the insanity of that system, and shaking in your (flat) boots at the height of that heel, let me remind you that these lovely little treats are friendly, as long as they're treated well, and respected. 

Personally, I subscribe to the New York professional shoe method. I hardly ever wear my fancy shoes outside. This keeps the soles from being worn down too quickly, and they stay dry, so the upper doesn't get ruined either. The other reason is because I do not trust the weather in Vancouver. Especially at this time of year. So, if I'm going to work, or a houseparty where I'm able to keep my shoes on, I pack my shoes in my handy-dandy shoe bag (which was a cosmetic gift with purchase, so nothing too fancy) and puddle jump all the way there in my rainboots. 

I also walk to work, so 45 minutes in either direction would easily destroy not only my shoes, but my feet. If you're going to be walking for a million years, giant heels are probably not going to be a good idea. 

This also speaks to the idea of having cute transition footwear. In New York, everyone packs their shoes and wears running shoes to and from work. I think that athletic running shoes belong in a gym, or on someone who is actually running, but there are so many cute options as far as supportive street shoes go. Try to find something that won't make you look like you pulled them on in the dark. Black is probably best, as it's the more versatile. 

Secondly, I have a set of gel insoles that I wear in my heels. Sometimes, wearing the gel pads is hard because it makes the toe of the shoe too tight, so watch for that, but for the most part, they really help. 

Lastly, when you're buying shoes like these, look for something with a significant platform on the toe. Mine have about a 1 inch platform, meaning that, while they make my legs looks 5 1/2 inches longer, I'm only standing on a 4 1/2 inch heel, which is much easier to make friends with. It's also worth putting them on and walking around the store while you do the rest of your browsing. Chances are, if they start to hurt in the ten minutes they've been on your feet, they're not the shoes for you. 

Now, I will admit that wearing giant heels all day is not for everyone. If you work on your feet all day, I would not recommend wearing a 5 1/2" stiletto. I've worked in grocery stores, clothing stores and restaurants, and will openly admit that it's suicide. But, that doesn't mean that you can't have fun with your toes! Again, this is a time when practical shoes are an asset. This doesn't mean you need to wear those beat up running shoes, though! Look for something stylish and comfortable (they do exist, you know!) and you'll find that you not only look more polished, you'll feel more confident!

Now, if only there was a secret to being able to dance on skyscrapers all night! 



No comments:

Post a Comment